Brown Werner lawyers have extensive experience handling complex, high exposure insurance and reinsurance matters. Our attorneys represent companies in high-profile insurance coverage and bad faith litigation before state and federal courts and in alternative dispute resolution proceedings in forums across the United States.
Our attorneys have a proven track record of success in counseling, representing and defending our clients in claims and related coverage litigation. In addition to our litigation capabilities, Brown Werner attorneys are proactive in advising clients on developments in the law relating to both coverage and underlying claims issues. We also evaluate the exposures posed by claims in order to explore settlement early in the claims/litigation process. Where appropriate, we strive to resolve claims and coverage disputes without the need for protracted litigation.
The following matters reflect the experience of our lawyers in this practice area.
- Brown Werner attorneys have defended a number of actions involving insurance coverage for losses arising from alleged design and construction defects in pipeline operations, including property damage and bodily injury claims allegedly related to the release of petroleum products from terminal and pipeline operations.
- Our attorneys have successfully handled matters involving application of occurrence-based excess of loss contracts to tens of thousands of employee bodily injury claims, including noise induced hearing loss, asbestos-related pulmonary disease, non-asbestos pulmonary disease and repetitive stress.
- Brown Werner attorneys defended companies with respect to respiratory claims asserted by workers involved in the clean-up operations following the terrorist attacks on 9/11.
- Our attorneys have successfully handled insurance and reinsurance coverage litigation arising from hazardous waste losses in jurisdictions across the country, including claims involving natural resources damage, in a variety of industrial and non-industrial settings, including landfill operations, petroleum pipelines, automotive repair facilities and railroad operations.
- Brown Werner attorneys oversaw the nationwide defense of asbestos, silica and mixed dust claims against a respirator manufacturer.
- Our attorneys served as counsel to a reinsurer in litigation and arbitration matters involving accounting, finance and disclosure issues associated with insurance-backed financing for motion picture productions.
- Our attorneys successfully litigated claims of “regulatory estoppel,” bad faith and punitive damages in a case of first impression involving environmental property damage.
- Brown Werner attorneys have successfully litigated the issues of number of occurrences, allocation and exhaustion in jurisdictions across the United States, including cases of first impression.
- Our attorneys have defended numerous actions involving alleged exposure to products in various industrial and residential settings, including product liability and design defect claims related to industrial solvents and chemicals.