James E. Brown focuses his practice on complex business litigation, corporate investigations and regulatory proceedings. Mr. Brown has more than twenty-four years of experience handling matters before state and federal courts, regulatory agencies, and arbitration forums across the country. His experience includes matters involving energy, nuclear power, employment, breach of contract, theft of trade secrets, intellectual property, unfair competition, Lanham Act, antitrust, misrepresentation, insurance coverage, reinsurance and bad faith.
Mr. Brown is co-author of Chapter 13 in Business and Commercial Litigation in Federal Courts (2d ed. 2005), which deals with issue and claim preclusion under the doctrines of res judicata and collateral estoppel in federal court litigation. He also authored an article entitled “Standing and Direct Review in Appellate Court,” dealing with direct appeals of administrative agency rulings and decisions in appellate courts, which was published in Volume 60 of the Temple Law Quarterly.
Reported decisions representative of Mr. Brown’s work include Hyde Athletic Industries, Inc. v. Continental Casualty Co., 969 F. Supp. 289 (E.D. Pa. 1997) and CSX Transportation, Inc. v. Continental Ins. Co., 680 A.2d 1082 (Md. 1996).
Mr. Brown received his Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics from Franklin& MarshallCollegein 1985. He earned his law degree at Temple University School of Law in 1988, where he was an Editor of the Temple Law Review and the recipient of the J. Howard Reber Memorial Award for Writing.
Areas of Practice
- Business and Commercial Litigation
- Corporate Investigations
- Employee Concerns
- Allegation Response
- Hazardous Waste
- Litigation Avoidance Counseling
- Insurance Coverage and Bad Faith
- New Jersey
- U.S.District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S.District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S.District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S.Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- TempleUniversitySchoolof Law, J.D., 1988
– Editor, Temple Law Review
- Franklin&MarshallCollege, B.A., Economics, 1985
- Brown Werner LLP
– Partner, 2011-present
- Brown Werner & Brothers LLP
– Partner, 2009-2011
- Duane Morris LLP
– Partner, 2006-2009
- Cozen O’Connor
– Member, 1990-2006
- Rawle & Henderson
– Associate, 1988-1990
- Co-author, “Business and Commercial Litigation in Federal Courts,” Vol. I, Ch.13, Issue and Claim Preclusion, (2d ed. 2005)
- Author, Standing and Direct Review in Appellate Court, 60 Tem.L.Q. 1045, (1988)